Tools: Same as usuall… And I know that I’ve been slacking on the posting front… Mainly because the posts themselves were getting me into a frame of mind that I’d have to have an analog.
That said, I did decide to buy a pack of smokes the other day and I had a couple. It’s not that I felt it to be weakness but more because it was just one of those kinds of situations where I wanted to see what my response would be. The brand is “DuMaurier Black” which is apparently a bit more “higher-end” in the quality department. So, these are supposed to be the good ones and they’re fresh.
And they still tasted like I was inhaling stale chemical air with that ever pernicious “stank” to them. Sure, the air had that “Rich tobacco smell” to it because a fresh cig with good tobacco is usually going to smell like that while it’s lit but to be fair the smell is usually short-lived and turns into that sour funk that I’m sure a lot of smokers are familiar with (and if not them, any non-smokers that live with them are bound to know the smell that I mean.) So, even with fresh and good-quality it still was less impressive than the vape.
That said, there’s been a bit of a furor with the legislation that’s going around. So, if you need to stock your ammunition to debate with people that are arguing against vaping (for whatever reason) here’s a link you might like which has links to EPA and FDA Studies that prove that propylene-glycol (one of the main ingredients in most e-liquids) is perfectly safe. Only risk seems to be that it’s a humectant so given that it’s likely that if you’re vaping with PG in your liquid then it’s suggested you make sure you’re properly hydrating yourself.
And as usual, if you are a vaper or are contemplating it… Research it. The best way to get information nowadays is to do your own research and always, ALWAYS be sure to remember a couple things which I’ve figured out about this kinda thing.
1. It’s important to understand that even though a lot of concerns seem to be silly or otherwise, they manage to gain traction because some people actually do believe them to be true if they’re not… So, if you can calmly and diplomatically help inform people on the matter, that should help defuse their concerns. Don’t be all dismissive and insulting or whatever, that’s not going to work. Be kind, calm, courteous and generally a nice person and you will win hearts and mind more effectively than if you are insulting, demeaning and belittling. We need allies, we don’t need more antagonists and treating people with disdain, rudeness or other negative things is going to make more antagonists than allies.
2. It’s also important to understand that the argument of vaping “normalizing” smoking isn’t without merit… That said, there ARE people out there that are more than happy to use smokers and nicotine-addicts as their ammunition to stroke their ego but the concerned parents? Well, to be fair they have a point. The only reason they have a point, however, is because when you’re trying to impress on a child that smoking is bad and that it’s not a good habit to get into, they often cite the damage it does to one’s health… So, given that it’s sensible to understand that vaping presents a bit of a hitch to that plan. Vaping isn’t nearly as damaging as the health impact is negligible. That said, it makes sense why some parents are against it because vaping presents to them an argument that would cause their desire to see their children free from addiction having less merit. So, maybe give them a better angle to use. Instead of saying “Vaping is perfectly safe” (which it is but that’s beside the point) say something like “Well, a vaper that’s using it to deal with their nicotine addiction is still addicted to the nicotine… And nicotine DOES have an effect on the developing brain so I’m actually in full support of children not using vapes for the purposes of looking cool or fitting in.” I don’t know anyone that’s either a smoker or a vaper that’s perfectly comfortable with children using a vape or getting addicted to nicotine in the first place… Sure, if the kid is already hooked on the nicotine I’d personally rather see them vaping but I’d rather not see them get hooked at all. But if I saw children smoking and vaping, I’d encourage the ones that are smoking to switch to vaping if they’re already addicted (but I’d strongly suggest that if they’re not addicted that they simply don’t start up at all.)
3. Don’t be a vape-hole. This one is the absolute MOST IMPORTANT PART HERE… What’s a vape-hole? Well, they’re an asshole that vapes. It’s not hard to find them. they’re usually the ones that will vape away in a restaurant or a bar (without asking if it’s okay) and will cause a fuss whenever someone asks that they not do so in front of them. Vape-holes are the ones that make us look bad because they do not respect other people or their wishes. Sure, maybe the person asking you not to vape is asking becasue they’ve been misinformed but still, be courteous about it. Besides, if you’re inside vaping away, you’re not outside in the “Smoking pit” showing off your kit and possibly getting more smokers interested in vaping. Sure, it might be cold and rainy but consider this a sacrifice to pay that might help get more people off of analogs and on to vaping. And hell, if you have a couple alcohol wipes or a drip-tip condom, get them to try your vape! Seriously, get them to try it! The best way to convince people that vaping is a viable alternative to smoking is to get them to try it. And if you’ve got some awesome e-liquid in your vape that tastes like sex on a cloud made of unicorn farts and rainbows then that’s even better! And if you’re being a vape-hold and vaping inside to the chagrin of other patrons, you’re only presenting yourself as rude and dismissive of their concerns (of which there are some reasons to be concerned…)
4. Remember, though that second-hand vapour doesn’t have all the nasty shit that smoke has, it still has some nicotine. That and some e-liquids will use ingredients that might cause an allergic reaction in some… So, be kind, courteous and respectful in all things you do with your vape. IF you can show people that you’re respectful and kind and you’re all sorts of awesome, they’re more likely to want to listen to you if you take some time out of their day to help them learn about vaping and why it’s better than cigarettes.
5. And this last point… Important… Engage your elected representatives. Don’t be all condescending or rude (because if you are they’re likely to file your concerns under “G” for “Garbage.”) Engage them because most representatives actually DO want to hear from you if they’re your representative. Sure, the “Party line” is something you have to understand but at the end of the day most politicians are more interested in keeping their jobs and that means they have to represent EVERYONE in their district or riding… Not just those that are of the same political affiliation. Because to them it’s important to do the job they’re there for and not to risk losing the next election. And think about it… if every single smoker in the world were to learn about vaping and we all united as one then there’s no way that they’d be able to ignore us without seriously risking their ability to collect a paycheck.
Happy Vaping and here’s to better health!
p.s. I’m going to go to a “when I have something pertinent to say” format for posting here… That means that there may be days or weeks that go by where I’m not updating. I want to keep this blog up as an e-cig related blog and my life doesn’t revolve around vaping (I am a human being with various interests after-all.. Heck, I have a blog where I talk about spiritual stuff… though I’ll post a link if people are interested in reading it as it’s not your typical spirituality blog.) That said, I’m still going to do the give-away raffle thing (I’m only a couple bills away from a setup that I’d be comfortable reccomending… it’s going to be a protank 2 mini with two ego-t style batteries, charger and a 5-pack of atomizers to be sure you have enough to last you a while… And depending on where you are, I may be able to include a bottle of liquid but I’m concerned about the legality of shipping that if it has to cross an international border… So, keep your eyes peeled for the opportunity to possibly score a kit for yourself or someone you love that’s a smoker… That said, if you already have a good collection of tools then I’d ask that if you do enter, you enter it for someone you know that’s a smoker… I mean, chances are if you ahve a good collection anyway a kanger+ego setup wouldn’t really be a step-up for you anyway, right?)